Saag Paneer?

- Fried Paneer with Spinach, Spices and Cream -


I feel a little silly posting this recipe, since working with a lot of East Indians has led me to be exposed to authentic Indian food almost daily in the lunchroom, reminding me how unauthentic this recipe probably is. BUT I am posting it anyway, as it was delicious.
- - - 
Lately, I have been wanting to add some more vegetarian recipes to my repertoire. I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, and I think that's a good thing, but I have been feeling lately like I'd like to incorporate other proteins (mainly chickpeas and fish) into my cooking, and also just start more often making some new plant based recipes. Luckily for me (this considered), the other day, Canning's Value Foods had paneer on sale for a fraction of the usual price. I remembered that I sometimes get a great spinach dish with paneer at Indian Restaurants, and thought I'd buy some paneer and try it at home. I am very glad I did. 
 Paneer with Spinach and Cream

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 block of paneer, cubed
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
  • 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, minced 
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp tumeric
  • 1 ripe tomato, cubed
  • 600 fresh or frozen spinach
  • 50 ml whipping cream
  • salt and fresh ground pepper

Instructions:
  1. Fry the paneer in some oil and salt until browned and crispy. Set paneer aside. 
  2. Toast the cumin seeds in some more oil, add the onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and spices, and fry briefly.
  3. Add cubed tomato and spinach, and let cook, covered, until spinach is just wilted. Add the paneer and single cream, and heat through. 
  4. Serve hot over rice, or with flat bread.
Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts