Huston Beach


I think it's safe to say that Huston's beach is my favourite beach in Nova Scotia. Just near Blomidon, Huston's is a beach that is slightly off the beaten trail--there is no sign, and the beach itself has no amenities. It's just a beach. And I think that's why I like it. When I lived in Nova Scotia, I used to sometimes just come here in the afternoon on my way home from class and eat a gelato from Foxhill (which is sort of on the way), or just sit for a bit and enjoy the wind and water. 


I first visited Huston Beach with some wonderful Halifax friends in the summer, and it took months, and another trip there with them much later before I figured out how to get there myself, but I have now gotten the directions straight enough to be able to find my own way there many more times. It's about a 20 minute drive from Wolfville. You turn off the #1 towards Port Williams, and follow that road right through Canning. After Canning, you take the second left after the statue, the one you would take if going to Blomidon. You continue on that road for a very long time, following it as it turns right when you intercept a big old white church that is known for its Strawberry Suppers in the spring, and eventually when you see a sign that points a Left to the Lookoff, you turn Right onto the unmarked gravel road (there is a big barn-type structure with large windows visible up ahead at this point). You follow this unmarked gravel road a few yards, and it takes you right to this beautiful beach.


And if those directions made absolutely no sense to you, I do think it is searchable on Google Maps.


This is definitely one of the places I hope to revisit when I eventually make it back to beautiful Nova Scotia. The tides here are just glorious. As you see, they go out very far. But at high tide, the water comes up to just a few meters from the mud cliff.










Comments

Popular Posts