Cream of Garlic & Chicken Soup


I have been on a soup kick this month. I have been trying new soup recipes from my cookbooks and blogs I frequent, because it has been so cold, and I started a new job for which I wanted to have lunches ready to go that I could grab quickly in the morning. The outcome of this is that I have found a few new soups to add to my repertoire and share here, and hopefully there will be even more to come.


This soup is surprisingly simple to make and very comforting. It is great as more of a meal with the chicken, or if you want to have a lighter soup to serve as an appetizer, you can cut the chicken out and it'll still be delicious. The green onions and chives really add a wonderful flavour.

Cream of Garlic & Chicken Soup
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 600ml chicken shock
  • 300ml milk
  • 300ml double or regular cream
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
  • 4 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
Directions:
  1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until soft but not browned. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
  2. Pour in the stock, the milk and cream and bring to a boil. Stir in the chives and green onions and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the green onions have softened. Check the seasoning, adjusting it if necessary, and ladle into warm bowls to serve.

*Adapted from Rachel Allen's Home Cooking.






Comments

Popular Posts