Hummus without Tahini


I love hummus. In Canada it's a staple. Growing up, I always thought it didn't taste like anything, and didn't care for it. But over the years, I grew to crave the subtle flavour and protein-rich creaminess of the chickpeas. I missed it a lot living in Indonesia, because it went from staple to exotic delicacy, which was almost impossible to find even in restaurants. Considering this, I find it hard to believe I didn't start making my own hummus earlier. But my mental block was always the price of tahini, which was an elusive pantry item in Indonesia. Anyway, I still can't be bothered to have tahini on hand all the time, so I was happy to find it is extremely easy to make delicious hummus without tahini: you can simply add extra olive oil to compensate from the absence of the sesame paste. This recipe is the combination of a tahini-free recipe from The Spruce Eats, and a Rachel Allen recipe from Home Cooking. I love the zestiness of the lemon juice paired with the toasted garlic and cumin tempering. And, of course, I love that I can make it without a special trip to the grocery store.


Hummus without Tahini:
Ingredients:
  • 1c dry chickpeas, soaked and cooked; drain the water but save it
  • Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
  • 1 1/2tsp salt
  • 1/2 to 1 cup chickpea water

    For the tadka (tempering)
    :
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 heaping tsp cumin seeds

    To serve:
  • olive oil to drizzle
  • Fresh ground pepper, sumac, or kashmiri chili powder
  • Chopped olives or any other topping you want
Directions:
  1. To prepare the chickpeas: measure out 1 cup of dried chickpeas. Soak about twice their volume of water overnight, and then boil for 40-60 minutes, until they are easily crushed by your fingers and feel soft. Drain the chickpeas, but save 1 cup of the water for later
  2. Prepare the tempering (tadka): With a mortar and pestle, crush the cumin seeds, and set aside, then crush the garlic roughly. Combine the cumin seeds, garlic, and oil in a small pot and heat over low heat for 3-5 minutes, until the garlic is just starting to brown and the oil is fragrant
  3. Place the cooked, drained chickpeas in a food processor, pour in the tempering mixture, as well as the lemon juice and salt. Blend on medium speed until the mixture is totally smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the chickpea water to the mixture to loosen it, and gradually add more until you achieve the desired consistency. I added a 1/2 cup , though my hummus was fairly thick as you can see below. You could add more for a lighter consistency.
  4. Adjust seasonings to taste
  5. To serve, place in a bowl or on a small plate and drizzle with olive oil and any desired toppings
Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts