Butter Tarts



Butter tarts remind me of home: of church dinners and impulse buys in the grocery store. I have never been totally sold on the raisins, but it's one of those things that have grown on me over the years. If I had to choose a favourite between butter tarts and pecan tarts, I'd have to say I prefer pecan, but there is something special and delicious about butter tarts as well. And I love them in their own right.


A while ago, before the gathering restrictions got tight again, my Grandma and I spent a whole afternoon making batches of pecan and butter tarts to freeze for Christmas. I'm so glad we did it while we could. They're perfect for Christmas and an absolute treat.


Butter Tarts

Ingredients:
  • Unbaked shells for 24 tarts
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins
  • 8 large eggs
  • 4 cups brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tbsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp lemon extract or lemon juice
  • 1 scant tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
  2. If you made your pastry dough yourself, roll it out, cut into medium rounds using a small bowl, and squeeze them carefully into 24 muffin tins
  3. Place 5-6 raisins in the bottom of each (unbaked) pastry shell
  4. Make the filling: Whisk 8 eggs until light and very fluffy
  5. Gradually whisk in the brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 2 tbsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp lemon extract and 1 scant tsp salt
  6. Fill the shells just less than halfway up with the filling 
  7. Bake in your over at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until set and a little crusty on top. The shells should be golden brown
Let cool and enjoy with a hot cup of tea! Or add to your platter of Christmas baking!




Comments

Popular Posts