Homemade Meatballs


I realized the other day that I don't cook with meat all that much. I love meat, but I often get it when I go out, and just haven't ever gotten much into making elaborate meaty dishes at home. One thing I do make, though, is meatballs. I make them to put in pasta sauces, have with rice and various veggies, and (often) to put in my tomato soup. Like many of my other recipes, I often change these up depending on what I have on hand, and how I'm feeling, but the few key things that always appear in this recipe are ground meat (some combination of chicken, pork and / or beef), fried onions, a little egg, oatmeal, spices or herbs, and a little salt. I made tomato soup a few weeks ago, and did up a little batch of meatballs to go in, and realized I hadn't ever posted my meatball recipe. So here it is now. Enjoy!

 

Homemade Meatballs:
Ingredients:
  • 330g ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced and fried in a little oil
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 egg white, egg yolk, or half an egg
  • 2-3 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Spices: 
    • For italian or the like: fresh parsley, basil and oregano
    • For a more Turkish or Middle Eastern: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or isot, pinch chili flakes, pinch paprika, 1 tsp fresh parsley

Directions:
  1. Fry the onions in a little oil, the mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
  2. Fry the meatballs in a little in 1 tbsp balls until just cooked through.
  3. Add to meal or pasta sauce or soup, and enjoy.



Comments

Popular Posts