Grandma's Apple Pie


Well, the second batch of apples just vanished before our eyes! Because we made pie. They almost all went into the pie. The last time I'd made an apple pie it was too gushy, I thought, but this one was too thick. I will get the trick eventually, I hope. Anyway, I am posting the instructions my grandma has given me, which are pretty loose (perhaps partly why my apple pies are so different every time), and if I ever fine tune it to make it more precise, I will res-post or update. Nonetheless, here is her recipe, which is as much direction as I've been working from.


Apple Pie
Makes 1 large
Ingredients:

  • Pastry, for crust and top (I use the recipe from the back of the Tenderflake box)
  • 5-7 granny smith apple, or crab apples (can measure in the pie crust)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup sugar
  • up to 2 rounded tbsp tapioca (max)
  • Generous dash of cinnamon 
Directions:
  1. Make the pastry crust, roll out, and line the bottom of a pie plate.
  2. Peel, core, and finely cut up the apples, and scatter into the pastry-lined pie plate. Add as many apples as fill the dish.
  3. Pour the sugar over the apples, and sprinkle on the tapioca and cinnamon
  4. Cover with another sheet of pastry, and poke holes in the top to release air as the pie bakes.
  5. Bake in a 350 degrees oven for up to an hour, or until the filling is bubbling out and the crust is a touch golden.
Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts