Agave Quinoa Pancakes


In the past few weeks, I have been gradually using up the remains of a variety of whole grain flours I bought a year or so ago, since I purchased Kim Boyce's revolutionary Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours. At first, when I bought her book, I was using the flours primarily for the recipes from her book, but after a while I began experimenting with using the flours in my own recipes. And, I have been forever converted. I still always keep plain, unbleached wheat flour on hand, and use it primarily, but I usually bake with a mix of flours, for example I use a fourth whole-grain kamut flour in my cinnamon buns, I always bake my chocolate chip cookies and brownies with whole wheat flour (not a combination, just straight whole wheat flour), I make my pumpkin muffins with Rye flour, and the list goes on. 

However, since there are less mouths to eat all of the baking (and less pockets to pay for the groceries) now that I have moved out, I have decided to limit myself to one whole-grain flour at a time. So I have been using up the scraps of the different flours I have left. So with some of my quinoa flour, I made these pancakes this morning. They were fantastic: fluffy and buttery, with crispy edges. 
Quinoa flour is interesting because the quinoa grain is a source of a full protein, so these pancakes make a perfect breakfast for growing boys who are anxious for some extra protein. And by the way, stay tuned if you are interested in Quinoa flour, because I will be posting an amazing quinoa walnut peanut banana chocolate chip muffin recipe next week!


Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp agave nectar (or 1 tbsp honey or sugar)
4 tbsp canola oil or melted butter

Chokecherry syrup, or peanut butter & maple syrup to serve.

Directions:
1. Whisk the flours, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
2. Pour in the milk, whisking continually until the mixture is smooth.
3. Stir in the egg, agave, and oil or butter.

& fry them up in lots of butter!



Comments

Popular Posts