Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares

(a.k.a. Yippee the Baby's Born! Squares)

These have always been one of my very favourite sweets my mom makes, and she has been making for a very long time. I remember countless times sneaking to the corner of the kitchen by the microwave to slice off a sliver or two after school. Anyway, my grandma made these and sent some home with me last week, and after devouring them in a day, I caved and made myself a batch. So, now I can share the recipe with you!

Just a note, from the few times I have made these on my own, I've found that the trick is to melt all the ingredients, but then to remove from the heat immediately once the mixture is smooth, because if you cook the mixture it too long, the squares will be hard and crunchy rather than rich and chewy. Otherwise, there's not much that can go wrong!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup corn syrup (Beehive)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 handful of marshmallows 
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups rice krispies

Directions:
  1. Grease a large (appx 8 x 8) rectangular or square baking dish, and set aside.
  2. In a large pot, melt the corn syrup, butter, chocolate chips, icing sugar and marshmallows over medium-low heat, stirring continually. 
  3. When smooth, remove immediately from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and rice krispies.
  4. Pour all this goodness into the greased baking dish and set aside in a cool place for 1-2 hours, to set.
  5. When cool and set, cut into pieces and serve, or store in the fridge or freezer. They should keep in the fridge for at least a week, but I don't know how long exactly, because they rarely last that long at my place.
Enjoy!





Adapted from my mother's recipe card.

Comments

Popular Posts